Vitamin - Kid Deficiency & Looming Villainy

 [I'd appreciate feedback on coherence and focus!]

What assumptions do people make about you?

“You seem so mature” 

“You seem very on top of things”


People my whole life have assumed that I’m older than I am. For some reason, I’m perceived as very adult-like. And I think most people mean it as a compliment, without realizing I’m having a full-on ⅙ life crisis. 


There was this one time, I was talking to some friends at school and I can’t remember how our conversation landed where it did - maybe it was the age distribution in our class, or maybe it was close to my birthday. At some point, I had to remind people I’m only 16 (or freshly 17). And I hear something along the lines of “Oh right, I forgot you were a skippy…. You don’t seem like a skippy”. While I know my friends mean well, it sometimes feels like they’ve pointed out some fatal deficiency. I didn’t get enough Vitamin Kid. 


I often worry that I’ve started down a slippery slope of lost childhood, of lost adventure. As a science and sci-fi-inclined person, I’m reminded of this scene in the time travel movie The Adam Project. The villain, Maya Sorian, is having a conversation with her younger self. The younger version (not quite as evil) is hesitant about listening to the future version of herself and aiding her immoral plans. Then the older Sorian says something along the lines of “Lady, your loneliness and regret are wasted if you don’t help me” And so of course, she’s willing to jeopardize the universe because, despite her scientific achievements, her life is super depressing. I don’t want to end up like that, always on the fast train, letting life pass me by, entering further into my evil scientist arc. 


I also don’t want to feel so restricted by expectations to be composed and ambitious all the time. I sometimes feel this weight on my shoulders to be perfect, to be put together and on top of things, when I feel like I’m melting into an oozing puddle of exhaustion on the floor. 


At newly 17, there’s a more reasonable part of me saying I still have plenty of time to transform and reinvent myself, that we really never stop doing that no matter how old we get. But with adulthood looming, I can’t help wondering that if I haven’t found that free spirit in me by now, I’m less likely to find it later. Still, I try to hold onto hope that I’ll break free of expectations and get better at enjoying life instead of starting a zombie apocalypse. 


Comments

  1. I love the "Vitamin Kid" part because it's clever and brings in that conversational tone. I haven't seen anyone bring a movie as a metaphor for their blog post and it's so unique. As someone who's watched the Adam Project, it was a great way to get your point across. You talk about how as time goes on, you're less likely to find that free spirit, but I disagree. I think that adulthood is also a journey where people continue to evolve and find new things. This was a great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your essay. I love to tone you use and your word choice; I think they add to the casual conversational nature of the essay. You do a good job using reflection to further your thoughts on your age and how being younger but seeming older affects your life. I really like the first paragraph, it was very attention-getting. Overall I think this is a wonderful conversational essay and I love how you described something that has impacted your life significantly, in such a casual manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your essay! The metaphors and anecdotes are really well done. Overall, it is very cohesive. One thing I would do is more explicitly circle back to your idea that you're going through life too fast in the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This essay is very cool! The coherence and focus of this essay seemed great! I really like how you immediately give what assumptions people make about you, it starts off the essay quickly and is a unique attention grabber. I’d suggest adding more personal examples in the essay. The example you have about people telling you they forgot you were a skippy is great, it adds narration and makes the essay feel very personal, so I think adding more examples like this at other points could help. The reflection is already great, it’s clear you’ve thought about this topic thoroughly. The piece about relating yourself to The Adam Project is very unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how Vitamin-Kid does a great job adding a bit of humor to the essay but at the same time really succinctly shows what you feel you missed out on. Your movie reference is also well done because even without having seen the movie that you're referring to I can still get the gist of the scene. The concluding paragraph does a great job wrapping up your current feelings and your attitude moving forward.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts