Making Gbofloto


What hobbies have been passed down from your family?

On a given Sunday morning at the Surheyao residence, a magical food might be frying on the stove. Crispy golden dough with hints of nutmeg and vanilla, gbofloto (g is silent) is one of my favorite foods to cook. Making gbofloto is an Ivorian tradition, passed down to me by my mother, which holds a special place in my heart.

My mom taught me how to make gbofloto about 2 years ago amid quarantine. My parents immigrated to the U.S. from Côte D’Ivoire over 20 years ago. While I grew up eating Ivorian foods like attiék poisson and sauce arachide, gbofloto has only become a staple in our household in the past few years. As my siblings and I have grown up, and as our family’s been joined by new Ivorians in Champaign, I’ve seen my parents making a more conscious effort to connect us to their native country.

And so, my mother showed me how to mix flour, water, yeast, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and baking powder. She showed me how to add the right amount of water, how to knead the dough, and how to heat the oven just a little to help the mixture rise. I used to be terrible at shaping the dough balls for frying, so I would leave that task to my mom while I scooped up the fully cooked gbofloto into a large bowl.

After enough batches, I could make the dish on my own from start to finish.

At this point, making gbofloto has become my signature contribution to family gatherings. For any birthday party or holiday, my aunts and uncles can expect me to bring fresh gbofloto. My most dramatic uncle will do a dance and sing its praises.

Success at making gbofloto makes me feel like a real Ivorian, like I’m tapping into some ancestral know-how and I’ve succeeded when I find the right consistency so the dough will pour smoothly but won’t drip. I’ve succeeded when I knead the dough until my arm aches and the dough stretches between my fingers like chewing gum. The most satisfying thing is coming back after an hour of letting the dough rise to see it’s nearly overflowing with bubbles; the better the dough rises, the fluffier and more delicious the gbofloto will be. If the dough is flat or there’s not enough sugar, I can almost see some great-grandmother shaking her finger at me.

Making gbofloto is a piece of Ivorian culture that feels like mine. I love providing something that reminds people of home, of their childhood. We have a tradition whenever we have a big gathering of taking pictures of the food to show all the people back home that we still eat good here in the States. Yes, there’s still attieke avec poisson grillé, bissap and ginger juice, and crispy, fluffy gbofloto. We want to show them that we haven’t lost our culture. It's the same way my siblings and I are congratulated if we can string together a sentence in French as if to say we still know who we are.

At the same time, making gbofloto is a piece of Ivorian culture that doesn’t feel problematic. It’s not something I feel pressured to cook to prove I’m a good Ivorian girl who’ll be able to feed her kids. It has nothing to do with hiding rainbow stickers or pretending to be straight. Making a gbofloto is a tradition I proudly and joyfully honor, one small way I can enjoy serving my family and friends. I can be okay with not being “as Ivorian” as my parents, I can embrace being both American and West African.

[ending??]

Comments

  1. This is an amazing post. You have lovely reflection and narration, describing things vividly and with a friendly conversational tone. It makes me want to try gbofloto really badly because it sounds so good. Addressing the ending question, I have a few (separate) ideas. First, you could add a description at the beginning of not feeling as connected to the Ivorian culture so that it develops over the story. I think this would tie into a conclusion well because it could be about the journey of connecting and wanting to stay connected. Second, you could describe the pressures of Ivorian relatives and later describe how those pressures go away when you make gbofloto. I love the last paragraph, and I think it serves well as a conclusion, but you would need to tie the ideas presented there back into the rest of the essay (the problematic or hard aspects hadn't been talked about previously, so you could start with that and your perspective on your connection to Ivorian culture can gradually change). It's also very relatable to people, especially those with diverse backgrounds, so maybe add a sentence or two near the end about how one must find balance between their cultures or something like that. This was such a cute story, though, and it made me happy to read. Amazing post! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! I love the narration about gbofloto. I think it would be good to incorporate the ideas of gbofloto being "less problematic" or helping you feel more Ivorian like your parents earlier into the essay. Like, introduce these conflicts earlier and then explore how gbofloto solves them a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gbofloto sounds really delicious. Maybe you can bring it for show and tell??? The narrative sections where you talk about making gbofloto are descriptive and I like the reflection about connecting back to your roots. The last paragraph is very insteresting so I think it would be good to expand on it. Maybe talk more about any times you felt conflicted about your identity? Or if you have never felt that way, suggest it than shut it down like that one literary device we learned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts